I get many questions about Keurig Vue and Vue pods, so today I’m going to answer a few of them.
This post was originally published in 2013. The Vue system has been discontinued in August 2014. Right now there are 7 Vue pod varieties still available for purchase at keurig. com, and you should also be able to find Vue pods on Amazon. Luckily, there’s also a Vue adapter ($14.99) which allows you to brew your own coffee and regular k-cups in your Vue machine.
If you’re looking for the latest Keurig model, here are the best Keurig coffee makers right now.
KEURIG VUE CUPS
Keurig Vue works exclusively with Keurig Vue cups. The Vue cups have number 4 on the label and they cost from $0.68 to $0.90 per pod.
What are Vue cups? Vue cups are coffee pods originally designed for Vue machines. The Vue machine was discontinued but Keurig still makes Vue pods because they work with both, Vue machines and Keurig 2.0 system. Vue packs have two layers – plastic cup and filter with coffee. There’s a free space between them Keurig uses this empty space to redistribute water pressure and air differently, which results in richer and slightly frothy drink. Vue cups are made of #5 plastic and they are recyclable. To recycle your Vue cups, first, allow the pod to cool, then carefully peel back tab to separate foil lid and any filter from the cup. Recycle your cup wherever #5 plastics are accepted.
Best tasting Vue cups? If you like your coffee really strong I recommend Dark Magic and Starbucks French roast. If you like medium coffees, Donut Shop and Newmans Own are my favorite ones. All these Vue cups will also work in Keurig 2.0 coffee maker.
Can you use k-cups in Vue? Even though k-cups don’t normally work in Vue machines, there’s a special Keurig Vue adapter ($14.99) you can use to brew regular k-cups or your own coffee in Vue. The adapter/ reusable Vue cup works with all Vue models: V700, V600, and V500. Best grind for Keurig Vue reusable cup is the medium grind level.
Vue cups vs K-cups, the difference between the two? The main difference is the pod shape and how it works. The k-cup is punctured from the top and bottom side and the water goes directly through the k-cup. The Vue pack has one additional layer and free space between layers. Keurig uses this empty space to redistribute water and air differently and that why coffee tastes slightly better and can have a nice foam on top. While the k-cups are not recyclable, you can recycle Vue cups.
Can Keurig Vue do espresso? No. Even though Vue has air infusion system that gives nice, frothy drinks, it can’t do espresso coffee. Keurig has just released the K-Cafe model which makes a concentrated brew and has a built-in milk frother so you can make lattes and cappuccinos at home. Here you can read Keurig K-Cafe review.
Where to buy Keurig Vue cups? Keurig said that they will officially discontinue all Vue pods in July 2018, but you can still find few pod options online. There are 7 Vue pod varieties available for purchase at keurig.com, while you can still find most flavors on Amazon.
HOW TO USE KEURIG VUE
As far as the operation and simplicity, the Keurig Vue is very similar to a classic k-cup machine. You just take the Vue pod, insert the pod in the machine, close the handle, press the button and your coffee is ready in less than a minute.
The touchscreen on this machine is super simple to use. It offers three main drink options: coffee/tea, brew over ice and cafe drinks and you just need to choose the one you want. You can also adjust the temperature of your drinks, within 187 ºF and 197 ºF range (the default temperature is 192ºF).
For coffee, you can set the desired strength, by choosing a regular/ strong option. Choose a cup size: 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 or 18 oz and press brew.
For cafe style drinks you need two pods. Choose cafe option, then make the froth. The Vue makes 4 ounces at froth setting. Then, insert the second pod. Choose coffee or tea and cup size (this will be added to 4 ounces of milk) and press brew. It’s really easy. It seems that they don’t make the cafe style pods anymore.
HOW TO CLEAN KEURIG VUE
I recommend to do a regular cleaning routine every two weeks and to descale your machine every 3,4 months to remove calcium deposits. This will keep your Vue nice and clean.
Regular cleaning routine, every 2 weeks:
1. Turn off the brewer.
2. Remove the drip tray, water tank and the brew head (here’s a video showing how to remove a brew head from Keurig Vue)
3. Hand wash all the removable parts with mild detergent and dry with soft cloth.
4. Wipe the unit with damp cloth and put everything back
How to descale Keurig Vue, do this every 3,4 months:
1. Empty the water from the water reservoir and remove the water filter.
2. Make sure the auto on/off is disabled.
3. Pour 1 bottle of Keurig Descaling solution and 14 ounces of water into the reservoir. Place a mug/pitcher on a drip tray and insert a clean empty vue cup. Close the handle and press Brew. Wait until the solution is dispensed. Discard mug contents.
4. Repeat the brewing process until the brewer indicates “add water”. Let the brewer stand for at least 4 hours. Do not turn off the machine during this period.
5. After 4 hours, remove and empty the water tank and rinse well. Remove the empty Vue cup too.
6. Fill the reservoir with clean water only and again, place a mug or a pitcher on a drip tray. Press brew button to rinse. Repeat brew step until you empty an entire reservoir then refill again with fresh water only. You want to completely rinse the machine and make sure there’s no residue or smell. Two full tanks should do the job.
7. Wipe the machine with a damp cloth, rinse all removable parts (see regular cleaning routine), fill the reservoir with clean, fresh water and you’re ready to brew.
Replace the Vue water filter, every 2 months
1. Remove the filter holder from the reservoir, open the holder and discard the old filter
2. Rinse the mesh on the lower filter holder
3. Take a new water filter and soak it in water for 5 minutes. Then, rinse it under running water for 1 more minute
4. Place the filter in the filter holder, close with lower filter holder and set the date 2 months ahead to know when it needs to be replaced again
5. Place a filter holder in the reservoir and push down until in place
MAINTENANCE AND SUPPORT
The Keurig Vue includes a limited one-year warranty for normal home use. To keep your Vue in good shape, it’s recommended to clean the external parts or the brewer regularly and descaling it every three to six months. Customer service help is available 7 days a week at 866-901-2739.
Keurig Vue Water filter holder and water filters
Vue V700 replacement water reservoir and a drip tray. The V700 water reservoir will also fit your Vue V600 machine. They are the same size and capacity, the only difference is the color, but you can simply put on the lid from your old reservoir.
If you cannot find the part you’re looking for or you need a replacement reservoir for your V500, please contact Keurig Customer Service. Send them your machine’s serial number and they will help you find the correct part.
Also, I’ve been getting emails asking about the Keurig Vue Recall. There is NO OFFICIAL RECALL NOTICE FROM KEURIG and their Vue brewers are perfectly fine. They simply don’t sell Vue machines anymore. The only recall notice so far was for their MINI Plus brewers with model number K10 produced prior to July 2014. For more details, please contact Keurig Customer Service.
Let me know if you have any other concerns or need any help in the comments below. I would be glad to help!
If you love coffee as much as I do, here’s a list of delicious coffee recipes that you can easily make at home.
If you’re trying to reduce exposure to chemicals in plastic as much as possible, these are my favorite plastic-free coffee makers.