Don’t skip this one! A detailed guide on how to clean Keurig 2.0 and how to descale Keurig 2.0 and make it running efficiently again!
Here’s the thing about coffee makers: They get way grosser than you realize. Over time they can collect hard water buildup, mold, bacteria or clogs.
In addition to that, they can accumulate oil buildups and make your coffee taste bitter or burnt. So, let’s take a little time and clean the coffee maker! I’ll walk you through it:
monthly cleaning routine
About once a month, it’s a good idea to give one of your most-appreciated appliances a quick clean to ensure your coffee taste great and keep your machine running well.
Spot-cleaning after spills and drips is easy, but what you really want to do is clean the exit needles, the area around the k-cup holder and the water tank. The water tank will be shiny and clean, and since there will be no oil buildups your coffee will taste much better.
This will take 10 – 15 minutes. Do this once a month. I would wash the tank more often, at least once per week. Tip: Quickly rinse the tank and fill it with fresh water every morning, for the best tasting coffee.
how to clean a keurig 2.0
What you need:
Clean, dry cloth
A toothbrush or paper towels
A paper clip
1. Unplug the machine.
2. Remove and wash removable parts: Remove the drip tray, water tank and the pod holder from the unit. Wash all the parts with mild detergent and rinse well.
3. Clean the exit needles. You can use needle maintenance tool for this job, but you can also easily clean Keurig 2.0 needles without a tool.
Keurig 2.0 needle maintenance without tool: Turn off the brewer and remove the k-cup holder from the unit. Use a paper clip to remove debris and grounds from the top and bottom exit needle, then rinse the k-cup holder. Here’s a video showing how to clean Keurig 2.0 needles with a paper clip. I prefer this method since it’s much more efficient.
If using Keurig 2.0 needle maintenance tool: Turn the brewer off, fill the silicone bulb with fresh water and place the accessory in the k-cup holder. Raise and lower the handle five times to loosen any coffee grounds in the entrance needle. Remove the accessory, turn the brewer on and run one cleansing brew.
4. Wipe the unit: Clean out coffee grounds or any dirt left in the unit – especially around the k-cup holder and the handle, using a toothbrush or a paper towel. They even make special cleaning pods that are designed to remove oil buildups. Wipe the rest of the unit with a damp cloth. Return all the removable parts and plug in the machine.
5. Add water and rinse: Fill the tank with fresh water and run 1 – 2 rinse cycles. Then, use as usual.
HOW TO DESCALE KEURIG 2.0
Descaling is important. It helps clean mineral build-up inside your machine and can help with poor performance. It keeps your machine in a good shape and ensures good tasting coffee. The descaling process should be done every 3, 4 months, depending on the mineral content of the water in your area. You should also descale if the touch screen indicates Time to descale the brewer.
What you need:
large mug/ bowl
1. Prepare the brewer: Empty the water from the water reservoir, remove the water filter and turn off the brewer.
2. Add descaling solution: Pour 1 bottle of Keurig Descaling solution and 14 ounces of water into the reservoir, then turn on your brewer.
3. Descaling rinse: Place a mug/pitcher on a drip tray, open and close the handle without inserting the pod and press the brew button at 6 ounce setting for Keurig K250 or 10 ounce setting for other models: Keurig K350, K450, and K550. Wait until the solution is dispensed. Discard mug contents.
4. Repeat the rinse process until the brewer indicates “more water please”. Let the brewer stand for at least 30 minutes. Do not turn off the machine during this period. After 30 minutes, remove and empty the water tank and rinse well.
5. Fresh Water rinse: Fill the reservoir with clean water only and again, place a mug or a pitcher on a drip tray. Press brew button to rinse. Repeat brew step until you empty an entire reservoir then refill again with fresh water only. You want to completely rinse the machine and make sure there’s no residue or smell. Two full tanks should do the job.
6. Wipe the unit and wash removable parts: Wipe the machine with a damp cloth, wash all removable parts with mild soap and return them to the unit. Don’t forget to clean the exit needle and the k-cup holder for the best result (explained at the beginning of this post). Fill the tank with fresh clean water and use as usual.
How to descale Keurig 2.0 with vinegar
If using vinegar, fill up about 2/3 of the reservoir with white vinegar and fill the rest of the tank with water up to MAX fill line.
REPLACE KEURIG 2.0 WATER FILTER
The water filter should be changed every 2 months or 60 tank refills. The water filter on Keurig 2.0 is located inside the water tank, on the valve at the bottom of the tank.
There are two types of filter holders for Keurig 2.0 models. The rear reservoir K 200 filter holder, and the side reservoir filter holder for K300, K400 and K500. The filter cartridges are the same and they work with all Keurig 2.0 models.
Here’s how to replace Keurig 2.0 water filter:
1. Remove the water tank from the unit, discard water and remove the filter holder from the tank.
2. On the bottom of the holder, press in the tabs on both sides of the base at the same time and pull down to separate. Discard the old filter.
3. Rinse upper and lower filter holder with water.
4. Take a new water filter and soak it in water for 5 minutes. Then, rinse it under running water for 1 more minute.
5. Place the prepared filter in the upper part of the filter holder, close with the bottom part of the holder and set the date 2 months ahead to know when it needs to be replaced again.
6. Place the filter holder into the tank and push down until in place. Be sure to push firmly all the way down to correctly attach the filter.
Keurig 2.0 brewers have water filter alert and they will indicate when it’s time to replace the filter. To set the alert, go to settings, water filter reminder, press enable then save. When it’s time to replace the filter the machine will indicate “time to replace the water filter”, press continue, replace the filter as explained above, then press yes, to reset the filter reminder.
Best water for Keurig 2.0: Keurig recommends using bottled or filtered water in their machines or using a water filter. Do not use softened water in your Keurig machine.
Refill the tank every morning: I strongly recommend refilling your water tank with fresh water each morning. Quickly rinse the tank with water and refill. Of course, that doesn’t mean that you need to waste water or your money. If you have an 80 oz reservoir and you use bottled water for example, don’t fill it all the way up. If you brew 4 cups a day you can add 40 ounces maybe and pour fresh water the next morning. Also, make sure to wash the tank with soap and water at least once every week. Fresh clean water is really important for a good cup of coffee.
The key to a great tasting coffee actually starts with a clean coffee maker. Keep your machine shiny and oil-free, and brewing the best coffee at home will be much easier.
If you love coffee as much as I do, here’s a list of delicious coffee recipes that you can easily make at home with your Keurig brewer.
make better coffee at home
Here are a few of my favorite hacks that will help you make a great cup of coffee with Keurig.