A review of the Keurig Vue System: the design, usability, pod compatibility, maintenance and everything in between.
There are three different Vue models: V700, V600 and V500.
Vue 500: 60 ounce removable water reservoir, 7 cup size options (4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16), black & white touchscreen, $119.00
V600: 74 ounces water reservoir, 8 cup sizes (4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18 oz), black & white touchscreen, $139.00
V700 : 74 ounce reservoir, 8 cup choices (4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18 oz), color touchscreen, $149.00
All Vue brewers use the same technology and they work the same. There’s only a small difference in cup and reservoir size, their dimensions, and price.
With Vue machines you can make: hot and iced coffee, regular or strong coffee, and cafe style drinks.
On top, there’s a programmable touchscreen with drink strength, temperature and size control. Removable water reservoir with flip-top lid for easy filling on the left and removable & adjustable drip tray.
Keurig Vue has the auto on feature so you can set the machine to brew coffee in the morning. You can also set the specific time when you want it to turn off. You can program it to automatically turn off after a certain period of time after the last brew. The machine will also indicate when you need to refill the water reservoir.
Update: The Vue system has been discontinued. They now have a Keurig 2.0 system that uses k-cup and vue-cups, and can also make a carafe.
Also, I’ve been getting emails asking about the Keurig Vue Recall. Please note, there is NO OFFICIAL RECALL NOTICE FROM KEURIG and their Vue brewers are perfectly fine. They simply don’t sell Vue machines anymore. The only recall notice so far was for their MINI Plus brewers with model number K10 produced prior to July 2014. For more details, please contact Keurig Customer Service.
If you really like the Vue machine you can probably find used one on Amazon or Ebay.
If you want similar performance but from a different brand, the Ninja coffee bar can be a good option.
As far as the operation and simplicity, the Keurig Vue is very similar to highly popular K-cup system. You just take the Vue pod, insert the pod in the machine, close the handle, press the button and your coffee is ready in less than a minute.
But, the Vue does offer some extra settings. With Vue you can control the size, strength and the temperature of your drinks. You can adjust water temperature or set the timer to turn on the machine each morning for you, and much more.
The touchscreen on this machine is super simple to use. It offers three main drink options: coffee/tea, brew over ice and cafe drinks and you just need to choose the one you want. You can also adjust the temperature of your drinks, within 187 ºF and 197 ºF range (the default temperature is 192ºF). Depending on the pod choice, you can make coffee, tea, hot chocolate, iced coffee/tea and their specially designed cafe beverages.
For coffee, you can set the desired strength, by choosing a regular/ strong option. Choose a cup size: 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 or 18 oz and press brew.
For cafe style drinks you need two pods. Choose cafe option, then make the froth. The Vue makes 4 ounces at froth setting. Then, insert the second pod. Choose coffee or tea and cup size (this will be added to 4 ounces of milk) and press brew. It’s really easy.
KEURIG VUE CUPS
Keurig Vue works exclusively with Keurig Vue cups. There are 25 different Vue cup options, including 4 decaf options. Box with 16 vue cups retails for $10.99. They also have vue travel mugs (20% more coffee and are ideal for large cup choices like 14 or 16 oz) and they retail for $8.99/12 ct box. Regular Vue cups have number 4 on the label and travel mug options have number 2.
All Vue cups will also work in new 2.0 Keurig. Where to buy Keurig Vue cups? See Amazon, Keurig .com and Bed, Bath & Beyond.
There’s also a Keurig Vue adapter that allows you brew k-cups or your own coffee in your Vue machine. The adapter/reusable vue cup works with all Vue models: V700, V600 and V500.
Best grind for Keurig Vue reusable cup is the medium grind level (try to get the texture that feels/ looks like beach sand).
Vue cups are made of #5 plastic and they are recyclable. To recycle your vue cups, first, allow pod to cool, then carefully peel back tab to separate foil lid and any filter from cup. Recycle your cup wherever #5 plastics are accepted.
Vue cups vs K-cups, the difference between the two? The main difference are the pods and how they work. K-cup machines: After we place a k-cup into the machine, the machine makes small holes on top and bottom of the cup. Hot water is sent through the k-cup and fresh& hot coffee goes directly into the mug. Keurig Vue: Vue is doing something better – it makes a specific combination of water pressure, timing, and airflow, depending on our settings. This results in pretty much a customized, perfect cup of coffee.
Different from K-cups, vue packs have two layers – plastic cup and filter with coffee. There’s a free space between them and this is exactly where all the magic happens. While the K-cup maker makes holes on top and bottom of a k-cup, Vue makes two holes on the top and uses this empty space to redistribute water pressure and air differently – and, they are recyclable.
Can Keurig Vue do espresso? No. Even though Vue has air infusion system that gives nice, frothy drinks, they can’t do real espresso coffee. If you’re looking for a capsule machine that can do both espresso and brewed coffee, Nespresso Vertuoline is a nice option.
MAINTENANCE AND SUPPORT
The Keurig Vue includes a limited one-year warranty for normal home use. To keep your Vue in good shape, it’s recommended to clean the external parts or the brewer regularly and descaling it every three to six months. Customer service help is available 7 days a week at 866-901-2739.
Keurig Vue Water filter holder and water filters
Vue V700 replacement water reservoir and a drip tray. The V700 water reservoir will also fit your Vue V600 machine. They are the same size and capacity, the only difference is the color, but you can simply put on the lid from your old reservoir.
If you cannot find the part you’re looking for or you need a replacement reservoir for your V500, please contact Keurig Customer Service. Send them your machine’s serial number and they will help you find the correct part.
HOW TO CLEAN KEURIG VUE
I recommend to do a regular cleaning routine every two weeks and to descale your machine every 3,4 months to remove calcium deposits. This will keep your Vue nice and clean.
Regular cleaning routine, every 2 weeks:
1. Turn off the brewer.
2. Remove the drip tray, water tank and the brew head (here’s a video showing how to remove a brew head from Keurig Vue)
3. Hand wash all the removable parts with mild detergent and dry with soft cloth.
4. Wipe the unit with damp cloth and put everything back
How to descale Keurig Vue, do this every 3,4 months:
1. Empty the water from the water reservoir and remove the water filter.
2. Make sure the auto on/off is disabled.
3. Pour 1 bottle of Keurig Descaling solution and 14 ounces of water into the reservoir. Place a mug/pitcher on a drip tray and insert a clean empty vue cup. Close the handle and press Brew. Wait until the solution is dispensed. Discard mug contents.
4. Repeat the brewing process until the brewer indicates “add water”. Let the brewer stand for at least 4 hours. Do not turn off the machine during this period.
5. After 4 hours, remove and empty the water tank and rinse well. Remove the empty vue cup too.
6. Fill the reservoir with clean water only and again, place a mug or a pitcher on a drip tray. Press brew button to rinse. Repeat brew step until you empty an entire reservoir then refill again with fresh water only. You want to completely rinse the machine and make sure there’s no residue or smell. Two full tanks should do the job.
7. Wipe the machine with a damp cloth, rinse all removable parts (see regular cleaning routine), fill the reservoir with clean, fresh water and you’re ready to brew.
Replace the Vue water filter, every 2 months
1. Remove the filter holder from the reservoir, open the holder and discard the old filter
2. Rinse the mesh on the lower filter holder
3. Take a new water filter and soak it in water for 5 minutes. Then, rinse it under running water for 1 more minute
4. Place the filter in the filter holder, close with lower filter holder and set the date 2 months ahead to know when it needs to be replaced again
5. Place a filter holder in the reservoir and push down until in place
Let me know if you have any other concerns or need any help in the comments below. I would be glad to help!