A beautiful everyday cake made with simple ingredients, with elegant chocolate glaze and soft pastry filling.
Right before Christmas I was asked by Lavazza to participate in their winter recipe challenge…ummm, yes please!! My challenge was to make a unique cake that pairs perfectly with a cup of Lavazza coffee. (we also have a $25 Visa card to give away this week, so be sure to read all the way thru!)
Now, when I think Lavazza…I think family, tradition and good taste. So, I wanted to make big, family friendly cake. You know…an everyday cake that uses traditional ingredients you already have in your pantry. And, I decided to use Lavazza Gran Selezione in the glaze to achieve that rich, elegant flavor we normally get with their coffees.
“You might already know that Lavazza espresso blends are favorite in our house and I always have a bag on hand. Well, now they have a new line of premium drip coffees. The grind is perfect for drip coffee makers, French presses or single serve reusable filters. This line includes 4 different blends and each gives that elegant, Italian style flavor and intense aroma. Very nice coffee to enjoy at home and simply perfect for upcoming cold winter mornings. I absolutely love this coffee. I know you will too.”
*I suggest to choose Gran Aroma or Classico if you like medium roasts with those fruit and floral aromas, and Gran Selezione or Perfetto if you like really intense, deep flavors.
And, for the recipe…Although the name sounds freezing, I promise, it’s a soul food…
RECIPE: CHOCOLATE ICE CUBE CAKE
3 large eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
6 tbsp cold water
1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cup water
8 tablespoons sugar
3 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
6 tbsp flour
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 tbsp powdered sugar
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped or chocolate chips
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 oz freshly brewed Lavazza Gran Selezione
1. Combine all of the cake ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl and mix till the mixture becomes nice and even, for 2 or 3 minutes. You can do this by hand if you prefer.
2. Butter a 9-x-13-inch baking pan. Spread batter evenly in cake pan, then rap pan on counter several times to eliminate air bubbles. Bake until nice dark brown, and a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, for about 20, 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the 1 1/2 cup water and 8 tablespoons sugar in a small saucepan until the sugar dissolves. Set aside.
4. When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. While the cake is still warm, pour the water-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in.
5. Combine milk and sugar in a medium saucepan and heat until it starts to simmer . Remove from heat and whisk in flour, a little at a time so lumps do not form. Place over medium-low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, scraping the bottom and sides. Cook for 5 minutes or so (slower over lower heat is better) until mixture is nice and thick. Remove from heat. Very gradually whisk in butter and 2 tbsp powdered sugar until smooth. Pour filling over cake.
6. For the glaze, melt the chocolate and the butter until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and whisk in 1 oz coffee (or to flavor). Pour over the top of your cake.
WIN $25 Visa Card
The good people at Lavazza are providing one lucky Coffee Stylish reader a $25 Visa Card, so you can stock your kitchen with Lavazza products.
To enter the giveaway simply complete the steps in the giveaway widget below.
This giveaway is closed. The winner is Yvonne L. Congrats!!!
This is a sponsored post written on behalf of Lavazza. All opinions expressed within this post are my own.