A few years ago, I thought I had the cappuccino thing covered. Then one day, I was like -wait, not everyone has an espresso machine at home. So, I decided to spend a week focused on making a perfect cappuccino without an espresso machine. Success!
Today I’m sharing my 3 favorite ways to make a cappuccino at home.
Now, I know this is really obvious: if you have an espresso machine at home, you can make real cappuccino (just like baristas do).
If you don’t, no worries, you can make a diy cappuccino version. Even though it’s not a real cappuccino, it will taste like one. It’s a good choice if you have a drip or a single serve coffee maker.
Last but not least, you can make it really simple and use instant cappuccino mix.
How to make a cappuccino with an espresso machine
I’m not very good at making how-to videos, so I decided to share this one instead. The video is really good and since I’m using the same method, coffee & milk ratio, I guarantee you’ll have an outstanding result.
How to make a cappuccino at home without machine
In three simple steps you can get a pretty similar cappuccino taste and texture like when using an espresso machine. Not a real thing, but it will definitely taste like one.
1. Start with 3 oz – 4 oz black coffee. Brew a really strong cup of coffee. If you have a Keurig brew 1 dark roasted k-cup at 4 ounce setting.
2. Pour 6 ounces cold milk in milk frother and froth until rich end velvety. Or, heat the milk on the stove or in the microwave until steaming, and beat it with a whisk. You want to get tiny bubbles (we call this the microfoam).
3. Slowly add frothed milk to your coffee.
How to make instant cappuccino
I know that some coffee experts will hate me for saying this but, yes you can use instant cappuccino mix if you want to use instant cappuccino mix. It doesn’t have a lot in common with real cappuccinos (as far as the price, taste, and quality), but it’s still an option. In fact, it’s a lifesaver if you don’t have fresh coffee, espresso machine, milk frother, or you’re just in a hurry. And, they are pretty popular because they come in like 50 different flavors.
Here are a few tips that will help you get a nice cup of cappuccino using instant mix:
1. Read preparation instructions. Different mixes have different coffee to water ratios. This is why you should always follow producer’s recommendations. Sometimes, these cappuccino mixes are overestimated. If your coffee tastes watery or bad, use less water next time.
2. Don’t try to fill up a 16 oz tumbler using one serving. One serving is usually for a 5,6 ounce cup.
3. If you want a nice and creamy taste, add a splash of milk for extra creaminess.