Don’t skip this one! A detailed guide on how to clean your Keurig 2.0 brewer to make it shine and keep it running efficiently. Make these steps a habit and you will always have a coffee maker that’s in good shape + great tasting coffee.
REGULAR CLEANING, EVERY 1-2 WEEKS:
time: 10 minutes
1. Turn off the brewer
2. Remove the drip tray, water tank and the pod holder from the unit. Wash all removable parts with mild detergent and rinse well. Clean both exit needles.
3. Clean out coffee grounds or any dirt left in the unit (around the k-cup holder and the handle) using a soft toothbrush or a similar tool. Wipe the unit with soft, damp cloth.
4. Put everything back and fill the reservoir with fresh water.
CLEAN THE EXIT NEEDLE
Cleaning the exit needle can help solve problems like brewing a partial cup or getting grounds in your cup. Here’s how to do it properly:
You can also use the maintenance accessory (the little orange tool) that came with your brewer. It’s simple: turn the brewer off, fill the silicone bulb with fresh water and place the accessory in the k-cup holder. Raise and lower the handle five times to loosen any coffee grounds in the entrance needle. Remove the accessory, turn the brewer on and run one cleansing brew.
HOW TO DESCALE KEURIG 2.0
Descaling is important. It helps clean mineral build-up inside your machine and can help with poor performance. It keeps your machine in a good shape and ensures good tasting coffee.
The descaling process should be done every 3, 4 months, depending on the mineral content of the water in your area. You should also descale if the touch screen indicates Time to descale the brewer. For this purpose, you can use white vinegar, Keurig Descaling solution or a similar commercial descaler.
Here’s how to descale your Keurig 2.0 brewer:
1. Empty the water from the water reservoir and remove the water filter.
2. Turn off the brewer
3. Pour 1 bottle of Keurig Descaling solution and 14 ounces of water into the reservoir, then turn on your brewer. Place a mug/pitcher on a drip tray, open and close the handle without inserting the pod and press the brew button at 6 ounce setting for Keurig K250 or 10 ounce setting for other models: Keurig K350, K450, and K550. Wait until the solution is dispensed. Discard mug contents.
4. Repeat the brewing process until the brewer indicates “more water please”. Let the brewer stand for at least 30 minutes. Do not turn off the machine during this period.
5. After 30 minutes, remove and empty the water tank and rinse well.
6. Fill the reservoir with clean water only and again, place a mug or a pitcher on a drip tray. Press brew button to rinse. Repeat brew step until you empty an entire reservoir then refill again with fresh water only. You want to completely rinse the machine and make sure there’s no residue or smell. Two full tanks should do the job.
7. Wipe the machine with a damp cloth, rinse all removable parts (see regular weekly cleaning), fill the reservoir with clean, fresh water and you’re ready to brew.
How to descale Keurig 2.0 with vinegar?! If using vinegar, fill up about 2/3 of the reservoir with white vinegar and fill the rest of the tank with water up to MAX fill line.
REPLACE THE KEURIG 2.0 WATER FILTER, EVERY 2 MONTHS
The water filter should be changed every 2 months or 60 tank refills.
1. Remove the filter holder from the reservoir, open the holder and discard the old filter
2. Rinse the mesh on the lower filter holder
3. Take a new water filter and soak it in water for 5 minutes. Then, rinse it under running water for 1 more minute
4. Place the filter in the filter holder, close and set the date 2 months ahead to know when it needs to be replaced again
5. Place a filter holder in the reservoir and push down until in place
Keurig 2.0 brewers have a water filter alert and will indicate when it’s time to replace the filter. To set the alert, go to settings, water filter reminder, press enable then save. When it’s time to replace the filter the machine will indicate “time to replace the water filter”, press continue, replace the filter as explained above, then press yes, to reset the filter reminder.
Regular cleaning will help prevent common issues like brewing a partial cup or getting grounds in your cup. Your morning coffee will also taste much better because there are no oils or buildups that make coffee taste bitter and stale. Urnex Keurig cleaning kit is especially effective and cleans residual oils really well, besides descaling.
You might also like:
Easy! 7 Steps To Make Your Keurig Coffee Taste Great
Keurig Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
Here’s Where To Find Cheapest K-cups and Save Money
10 Great Coffee Gifts That Are $30 or Less