A detailed how-to on how to clean your Keurig 2.0 brewer to make it shine and keep it running efficiently. Make these steps a habit and you will always have a coffee maker that’s in good shape + great tasting coffee.
AFTER EACH USE, THE CARAFE
time: 30 seconds.
Please, hand wash the carafe with mild detergent after each use. This takes only 30 seconds, but it’s SO important. It will keep your carafe clean, germ free and your coffee won’t taste stale. You wouldn’t drink your coffee from a dirty mug, would you?! So, please rinse the carafe frequently.
REGULAR CLEANING, EVERY 1-2 WEEKS:
time: 10 minutes
1. Turn off the brewer
2. Remove the drip tray, water tank, the pod holder and the holder base from the unit. Separate the pod holder from the housing too. Rinse well all removable parts and dry with soft cloth.
3. Clean out coffee grounds or any dirt left in the unit (around the k-cup holder and the handle) using a soft tootbrush or a similar tool. Wipe the unit with soft, damp cloth.
4. Put everything back and fill the reservoir with fresh water.
CLEAN THE EXIT NEEDLE
Cleaning the exit needle can help solve problems like brewing a partial cup or getting grounds in your cup. Here’s how to do it properly:
For cleaning entrance needle, you can also use a brewer maintenance accessory (the little orange tool) that came with your brewer. It’s simple: turn the brewer off, fill the silicone bulb with fresh water and place the accessory in the k-cup holder. Raise and lower the handle five times to loosen any coffee grounds in the entrance needle. Remove the accessory, turn the brewer on and run one cleansing brew.
HOW TO DESCALE KEURIG 2.0
Descaling is important. It helps clean mineral build-up inside your machine and can help with poor performance. It keeps your machine in a good shape and ensures good tasting coffee.
The descaling process should be done every 3, 4 months, depending one the mineral content of the water in your area. You should also descale if the touch screen indicates Time to descale the
brewer. For this purpose you can use white vinegar, Keurig Descaling solution or a similar commercial descaler. I like to use Dezcal powder.
Here’s how to descale your Keurig 2.0 brewer:
1. Empty the water from the water reservoir and remove the water filter.
2. Turn off the brewer
3. Pour 1 bottle of Keurig Descaling solution and 14 ounces of water into the reservoir, then turn on your brewer. Place a mug/pitcher on a drip tray, open and close the handle without inserting the pod and press the brew button at 6 ounce setting for Keurig K250 or 10 ounce setting for other models: Keurig K350, K450 and K550. Wait until solution is dispensed. Discard mug contents.
4. Repeat the brew process until the brewer indicates “more water please”. Let the brewer stand for at least 30 minutes. Do not turn off the machine during this period.
5. After 30 minutes, remove and empty the water tank and rinse well.
6. Fill the reservoir with clean water only and again, place a mug or a pitcher on a drip tray. Press brew button to rinse. Repeat brew step until you empty an entire reservoir then refill again with fresh water only. You want to completely rinse the machine and make sure there’s no residue or smell. Two full tanks should do the job.
7. Wipe the machine with damp cloth, rinse all removable parts (see regular weekly cleaning), fill the reservoir with clean, fresh water and you’re ready to brew.
If using vinegar, fill up about 2/3 of the reservoir with white vinegar.
REPLACE THE KEURIG 2.0 WATER FILTER, EVERY 2 MONTHS
The water filter should be changed every 2 months, or 60 tank refills.
1. Remove the filter holder from the reservoir, open the holder and discard the old filter
2. Rinse the mesh on the lower filter holder
3. Take a new water filter and soak it in water for 5 minutes. Then, rinse it under running water for 1 more minute
4. Place the filter in the filter holder, close with lower filter holder and set the date 2 months ahead to know when it needs to be replaced again
5. Place a filter holder in the reservoir and push down until in place
Keurig 2.0 brewers have a water filter alert and will indicate when it’s time to replace the filter. To set the alert, go to settings, water filter reminder, press enable then save. When it’s time to replace the filter the machine will indicate “time to replace the water filter”, press continue, replace the filter as explained above, then press yes under water filter replaced, to reset the filter reminder.