Do you clean your coffee grinder on a regular basis? Don’t wait until you see the dirt and oils. With the proper cleaning routine, you can keep your grinder looking (and working) it’s best for a very long time.
HOW TO CLEAN BURR GRINDER
The grinder: Baratza Encore burr grinder, Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso Infinity, Cuisinart Supreme Grind and similar burr grinders
1. ALWAYS unplug your grinder first, then continue with the cleaning process
2. Hand wash only removable plastic/glass parts like the bean hopper or grounds bin and do not use water directly on the unit
3. DO NOT wash the burrs with water even if they are removable
1. Press the front pulse button to run any remaining beans through the grinder
2. Unplug the grinder.
3. Remove all removable parts: the lid, bean hopper and the grounds bin, hand wash them with mild detergent and dry
4. Remove the top ring burr but don’t wash it with water, only use a dry brush to clean out all the grounds and dirt
5. Use a brush to clean around the center burr, from top and bottom (you can even vacuum it if you want, but first make sure there are no loose parts)
6. Put everything back: the ring burr, silicone seal, the bean hopper and grounds bin. Make sure everything is placed properly then plug in the grinder
7. Put 1 cap full of Grindz tablets in the bean hopper, and run it through at medium setting (Grindz tablets are designed to dislodge coffee particles, absorb and remove odors and most important, coffee oil residue. You can use rice for this purpose too, but I strongly recommend to try Grindz. It’s the only thing I have found to clean my grinder completely and doesn’t leave residue, smell or anything).
8. When done, grind approximately 1 ounce of coffee beans to remove any tablets residue. Clean out the bin.
9. Wipe the grinder with soft dry or slightly damp cloth. Your grinder should now be as good as new.
Repeat this process every few months and run Grindz tablets once a month to keep your grinder nice and oil free.
HOW TO CLEAN HARIO GRINDER OR A SIMILAR MANUAL GRINDER
If you’re on a budget but you want to switch to whole bean coffee, I strongly recommend this manual Hario grinder. They are easy to adjust, use, easy to clean and they give a consistent grind size.
Hario grinder can be completely disassembled for washing. The burr is made from ceramic and metal parts are stainless steel so you can clean them with water. I prefer not to use water at all, but if you want to wash your Hario here’s how to do it:
1. Completely disassemble the grinder. Separate the container and the bean hopper, remove the locking screw, handle, stopper, adjustment nut, washer and inner burr.
2. Hand wash all the parts with mild detergent and allow them to dry completely.
If you don’t want to disassemble/ reassemble your grinder each time or use water on your grinder, I recommend to clean with cleaning tablets and brush instead. Here’s how to clean Hario grinder without disassembling it:
1. Separate the glass/ wood container (depending on the model) and the bean hopper
2. Use a brush to clean around the burr from top and bottom side.
3. Put 1 cap full/ 1 packet Grindz tablets in the hopper, and run it through at medium setting. When done, grind approximately 1 ounce of coffee beans to remove any tablet residue. Discard.
4. Hand wash the glass container with mild soap and dry with soft cloth. Put the bean hopper back. That’s it.
Repeat once a month. If you have a different brand, please check your manual for care instructions and material info. Metal burrs should never be washed with water. If you’re not sure about the material, please clean your grinder with tablets and dry brush to prevent any rusting.
HOW TO CLEAN ELECTRIC BLADE COFFEE GRINDER
If you have a blade coffee grinder like Krups, run 1 cap full Grindz or 1/3 cup rice and grind it extra fine. Discard, and unplug the grinder. Thoroughly clean Grindz/ rice residue with paper towel until nice and shiny. While you can nicely clean small blade grinders with rice, it’s best to use professional cleaning tablets in more expensive, burr grinders.